Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Years Eve Day 14

Today is New Years Eve--the last day of 2008! Our theme for the year has been 2008 is great and boy it has been. Lots has happened in our family--new job, new home, new baby and now we can say new liver!!! I wrote in our annual christmas letter that the new liver was the only big thing that didn't happen this year--maybe I "jinxed" us in getting it then by writing that?

Ians labs continue to show steady improvement. I am tracking them in excel--I opted not to do trendlines yet.

He is supposed to get his PIC line put in today--this allows for easy lab draws and meds by IV if needed. He'll need labs at least 3 times a week for the first little bit. I'm not sure if that is happening as he isn't supposed to eat beforehand and he has had breakfast and we just were able to order lunch. A special nurse needs to put it in too and with the holidays I'm not sure if anyone from that team is available.

Grandpa and Grandma are here again today. Grandpa has been tending Livia and Grandma has been playing with Ian so that Brett and I could get some down time. It has been good. We are hopeful to be able to watch the Hokies in the Orange Bowl tomorrow night.

Ian got a "bath" this AM and I trimmed his nails as well. You would think I was pouring alcohol onto his surgery site by the howling coming from his room. My goodness! We managed though. He won't be able to truly bath until the staples are out and then we won't be able to submerge the arm until after the PIC line is out.

What a wonderful 2008 and we're glad we can say....on to 2009 which will surely be a year to shine!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Happy New Year to all of you! Wow! What a year you guys have had. Love you much!

Chad and Carole said...

I'm so happy things are going well with Ian. I really admire your family...it is a blessing to have had the transplant but hard at the same time. Let me know if we can help with anything on this end. No baby yet here...I'm being induced on the 7th. Thanks for keeping me posted.