Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Day 7

A week ago Ian received his transplant. So far our first week post transplant has been a bit of a roller coaster like most families in the transplant community said it would be. We've had tears of joy, fear, sadness, and relief sometimes all at once.

I was with Ian for doctors rounds again this morning. The doctors know me well enough now that they brought a copy of the labs with them to hand to me as soon as I asked for the labs. His levels are all looking good. I will be tracking and trending them in excel as soon as I get my laptop that my dad just brought to me today.

Ian is still not fully pink and that could take over a month to happen. Brett and I can both tell he is less yellow in his face, hands, feet and eyes especially. He is in big boy undies today and walked to the potty two times. He was down playing on a blanket on the floor and even got on his stomach at one point to chug the train around a huge track. He is a bit wobbly on his feet which is to be expected given the length of time in bed and nature of his transplant surgery.

Livia hasn't napped at all today and finally crashed on our way here to the hospital. She and I will spend some special time together tonight--I am thinking that we may try to go to a Christmas Eve devotional at one of the chapels near hte hospital. My parents will be with my sister here in the metro area until tomorrow morning and then Ian, Brett and I will have ourselves a very merry christmas in his PICU room. Livia will be watched by grandma and grandpa at the Mason House.

I picked up a small tree for Ian's room today at Target which was absolutely crazy. I usually don't go out this late to buy things for Christmas but the circumstances this Christmas are different. I also got Tacos from Taco Bell for Brett as that is a tradition in his family to eat Tacos on Christmas Eve--not quite like homemade but it was the best I could do. Ian will get some Santa presents here and then a special visit from Santa once back in south carolina. Livia is too little to really know what is happening which is great in many ways. She was not as stellar with the bottle today which is a bit concerning after her great trend.

Ian's new liver is such a great gift--a very special christmas present. As I think of tonight being Christmas Eve with Ian in the PICU, my mind and heart think about the donor family and as before, I have said a special prayer of comfort for them at this time. Thank you donor family where ever you are and God be with you.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I just want to say Merry Christmas and pray that you guys have a good one. Ian is the bravest little boy, and you guys are amazing! Love you much!

Richard said...

Merry Christmas and we love you. May the Savior's love rest upon you tonight and always.