Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Day is Day 8

Today is Christmas and it has been a special day...not like Christmas is normally for most folks where you wake up and rush to the tree to see what Santa brought. Livia and I got up and spent some time together, I showered and ate breakfast and then waited for my parents to come back from the night with my sister and her family. They watched Livia while I went to see Ian and Brett in PICU and Santa came in a big way. The generosity of people here is amazing to us as Ian received many gifts and visits from special people throughout the day. He got lots of Thomas things--a carrying case with a new engine or two was probably his favorite (coaches Annie and Claribel & Stanley to be very specific). We played on the floor again with a blanket.

Livia did not take a bottle today at all (grrrrr) so my time in the mornign was shorter with Ian. I was there at least to help him get his NG tube out--yessssssss!!! He is able to be a good enough eater and take his meds by mouth that he got it out. The doctors continue to be pleased with Ian's labs. We had Ian in big boy undies but because of some of the tubes and stuff still attached, they were more trouble than good so he is back in hospital pants which he doesn't seem to mind.

I am here with Brett and Ian for a few tonight. My parents came with Livia so Brett could see her today. She napped today which was good as yesterday was a bit rough for that. Brett was able to eat a ham dinner (thanks to my sister) and it will probably be his only real meal today. I brought him a milk and banana this morning if that counts for breakfast. It is hard not to be able to be together as a family and particularly hard for me to be running (literally) back and forth between Livia and Ian. The plan is to try one more bottle type for Livia and if that doesn't work then I will keep running for as long as needed. I am hopeful that by Saturday we can be moved ot the transplant floor so in preparation I am taking home some things that Ian received today for Christmas.

It has been a wonderful day--truly! Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Merry Christmas, Elaine! It's so great to hear of Ian's progress.

Melinda said...

Sounds like Christmas was an eventful day! I'm glad Ian got so much attention. I love hearing about him playing. It's great to hear. I PRAY that Livia takes to that bottle.