Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bob the Builder Day 6

This morning Ian and I are watching Bob the Builder. He wants to get down to play with his engines so we are going to work on that today--it will be good for everyone. Even Brett can now sing the Bob the Builder theme song.

Brett has gone to eat some lunch and I am here with Ian catching up the blogs while Ian is into his Bob the Builder. Ian slept better last night thanks to Mr. Puppy. Ian was scared to sleep with him for fear of getting him dirty but thanks to my mom's idea of putting a hospital gown on Mr. Puppy, last night was the best night yet for Brett and Ian. I cannot say the same for Livia and I. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever stop feeling tired?

The routine so far has been something like this....wake up with Livia and feed her and pump. Shower, grab breakfast to eat as I drive to the hospital. Grab something for brett as well. Arrive at hospital circling in the parking garage for a spot multiple times (takes about 15 mins to park). Arrive at PICU hoping someone is at the desk to let me back. Wash hands on way in. Be with Ian while Brett sleeps, showers and/or eats. Leave to go back to Mason Guest House which is a bed/breakfast set up just for transplant families that is absolutely wonderful! Feed Livy and eat lunch. Write in blog/do laundry/play with livy/search for a grocery store, etc. Fix dinner. Eat. Prepare a plate for brett. Feed livy. Go to hospital to deliver dinner to brett and spend time with Ian. Leave hospital. Feed Livy. Get livy ready for bed. Bed. Feed livy throughout night. I can't get back into PICU from 7-8 am and 7-8 pm b/c nurses shift change. I also can't get back when the doctors are rounding anywhere from 8 to noon--it is crazy they don't have more of a set time as it drives me nuts.

Livia is doing well with the bottle thus far. Has taken it again two more times. What a huge blessing.

Brett and I cannot eat in Ian's PICU room now even though Ian can. Weird isn't it? We also both can't be alseep in Ian's PICU room--even on Christmas eve so we are brainstorming that one. Santa does make a visit here so that is good. We'll be here in PICU through Christmas.

Ian stood up and walked a bit yesterday which was great. He is able to wear underwear again, etc. too so we'll get that taken care of later today. I gave him a sponge bath yesterday and am combing his hair that is quite in need of washing at this point.

I was here again for doctors rounds and report is great. Ian is doing very well. We are close to getting the NG tube out. Ian has to take all of his meds well by mouth...only one med is giving us a little problem so we are going to try to flavor it with grape. cross fingers. Ian can also get one of his hand IV units out today but opted not to do that yet--I think he remembers the pain of the tape from another removal. He'll have to have his neck IV dressing changed and that was so not pleasant yesterday for Ian.

We feel so richly blessed with how well things have gone to this point. We say prayers of thanks multiple times a day as we know Heavenly Father is mindful of Ian and our family.

No comments: