Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 24

So Brett headed back to Charleston yesterday and my mom came back from my sisters to join me. I am glad she is here to help. It would be rough doing this solo with two children--very rough. We thought Brett had six weeks of short term disability to use but his work told him that he was going to need to switch to FMLA after using only about 2 weeks of disability. FMLA is great but there is no paycheck with it which we need very much right now. It was hard for me to let Brett go back but he will return on weekends.

Ian has improved slightly with his med taking--I am threatening to take away Thomas engines which works marvelously. His Aunt Amy and Uncle Ryan just sent three new engines yesterday which he is loving! I am going to get some Thomas stickers and set up a sticker chart and if that doesn't work, I'll mix some of the meds in yogurt. The prograf will always be separate just to make sure he has that med as it is so important.

We went for a walk today outside for just a little bit. Good physical therapy and the fresh air is welcome for everyone. There is no broom here in our suite, along with no toilet paper, paper towels, soap, etc. So between the kindness of my sister and the local target we have some of the things we need. The beds are sleep number beds which are like air mattresses on a box spring. There is a separate wing for transplant families and to enter the main house and kitchen area you have to swipe your key and then move through the door and close it in 15 seconds or an alarm goes off. It is hilarious to get our family lined up to hussle through it--I wish I could record it. We've made it through twice without setting off the alarm and the key to that is that someone has to carry Ian through the door.

I'm going to go to the store to get some groceries with Livia. Still not ready to take Ian out yet so my mom will watch him. Shopping carts are particularly germy.

The COTA campaign funds are such a blessing and a stress relief to me. Ian's meds for one month are$2000+. Thank you to all who helped us in any way--time, money, other resources--it is a big blessing. Ian's webpage for COTA can be found at www.cota.org under Ian H. The picture is a bit out of date.

Livia had her month day yesterday--the 9th. I took pictures of her with Ian here at the RMH. She has grown so much within the last month--she is close to rolling over now.

We'll see what Day 25 brings tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

You need to have your mom videotape the process of filing through the door--sounds hilarious. sorry Brett had to leave, we're so glad he can return on wknds.