Sunday, February 1, 2009

Christmas at Home Finally

The transplant team discharged us to go home for a week late last Wednesday. We made the drive from Atlanta to Charleston and finally celebrated Christmas here today (Sunday Feb 1st) which was great. Not quite the magic that comes from Christmas on Dec 25th but it was still good. We didn't have a tree (well a small table top tree with no lights or decorations) and the other decorations are coming down tomorrow. Santa brought Ian a Cranky Crane which was the hit of the day. He is currently playing with Cranky and a few more engines he got. I had only one present to unwrap as Brett is a bit of a last minute shopper and well lets say that procrastination this time got the better of him due to other way way way more important issues. Moral--if waiting a liver transplant shop early. :) My present though was redeeming as it was a wonderful multi-picture frame shelf combo with pictures of the kids in it that Brett had ordered without me knowing it. Good job honey!

Ian is doing well overall. I am currently sick and am wearing a mask as much as possible to keep him free from these germs so that has been a bit tricky. Getting labs done here at MUSC Children's was an ordeal on Thursday but we survived it. Labs are at MUSC again on Monday. We have to bring in our own supplies for them to draw from Ian's PICC line which is apparently a style they don't use at MUSC. Labs also didn't get sent same day which is key for managign Ian's prograf level. If MUSC can't get things together to turn labs around same day to the team in ATL, we'll have to go back and stay in ATL until we have labs weekly. It took over 4 hours start to finish getting labs and another 2+ on the phone chasing down the people we needed to get labs sent and it still didn't happen. Yeah....Brett and I were frustrated. I'm just glad we are proactive parents as I hate to think what would have happened otherwise.

We have to be back to clinic this coming Wednesday and may need to do that every week for a while. It is worth it to be home in the meantime though. I'll be driving solo with the kids this time as Brett has burned all of his time off for a while.

I am hoping to get more pictures posted on facebook later today or tomorrow. When I got home, I had a huge stack of stuff to dig through and sort and put away, etc. It was fierce. It was almost as bad as unpacking from a move. I still have tons to do but am cautioned against trying to do it all in a day. My to do list is mounting though and that makes me anxious. My mom was here until yesterday and that was a big help to at least get the suitcases unpacked. I've had things packed up for three years and now am trying to find a spot for everything it is more daunting than you would think.

We'll be setting up a new train table scene later today and that should actually be some fun family time! More later this week.....

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh Elaine! I'm so glad you got to have Christmas! Sorry you are feeling bad. Hang in there! I can't imagine what you guys have been through, but glad you are to the point you are. Love you much!!!

Jaime said...

Christmas! Yay! Thanks for the shopping tip--mom said she ran into you on black friday so I know your gift giving skills are pro! Sorry you have to go down by yourself. Glad your mom has been there though--as you said, I think about people with no support system and you wonder how they get through. Crazy. Kudos on being such a great mom.