Monday, June 1, 2009

Magicians or MacGyver???

So I've decided in my almost four years as a mommy that mom's are definitely magicians or MacGyvers source for how to's. For example, ask a mom how to entertain children using only a paperclip, a stick of gum, and a straw wrapper found from the depths of her purse/diaper bag, and you will see the most eleborate craft day project appear. And speaking of the purse/diaper bag, I would LOVE to go on the old TV game show Let's Make A Deal because I would be walking away as a winner because I tell Brett the diaper bag is like a 72 hour kit that I keep with me at all times. It does have the advantage of giving my arms a nice work out hefting it around.

No one ever told me that mom's had this "magic" knack or where it is gleened from but I think all mom's have the ability. No other job I have had prepared me for the amount of multi-tasking and improvisonal problem solving that I would encounter as a mom. So I ask you fellow moms--why didn't anyone speak up?

Personally, my favorite is being the magician while at the doctors office. We spend ample amount of time at a doctor's office not only for Ian but also for Livy. (We were there today for an ear infection and what might be strep. )

The last time Ian had a CHOA appointment only Brett and Ian went to give Livy and I a break. After triage while waiting in the room for the doctors to start rounds, Ian looks at Brett and asks "So where are my Thomas Books?" to which Brett was like...um buddy I don't have anything. Ian tries a different route...so do you have some crayons....to which Brett again said, I have nothing nothing at all. Ahh....yes the mommy in me smiled when I heard this and thought of how buff I am becoming toting my magicians magic bag (aka diaper bag or 72 hour kit) whereever I go. (As a side note...I have since prepared brett with an emergency thomas the train paper that he now carries in his wallet).

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Ha ah ha ha ha. YES! It's so true! Garner is convinced that my bag is magic. He thinks there is a never ending supply of snacks etc. He never believes "Sorry buddy, we ate all the snacks" he simply says "just look in your bag." I usually do and lo and behold snacks magically appear even when I thought that we had indeed eaten them all!

Melinda said...

Ah! How true it is! And I agree w/Sarah's comment too...where do all those snacks come from? Hats off to all moms! It's a VERY hard job, but someone has to do it!

iamjenn said...

Being an aunt of seven, (the oldest is now 20 and the youngest is 6 months old), being a baby sitter since 11 (I am now 30) and working in the the nursery I have learned a lot about having bags prepared and a lot of other types of being prepared. This will help whe I become a mother myself. All of these tips will help. :)