Sunday, September 28, 2008

Experiences for learning.....

So in honor of our three month (almost) mark of living in South Carolina I figured I would update my blog with some things I have learned, observed, or realized about South Carolina since moving away from home state of Virginia for the first time.

1. People in SC don't like to drive in rain. Traffic slows so much it is like people driving in snow in Virginia. A discussion with a friend here resulted in wondering if people like to focus on the windshield wipers rather than the road when it is raining and that is the problem....

2. People in SC run to the stores on threat of hurricane just like people run to the stores with threat of ice or snow in Virignia. Same things are the "hot items"....toilet paper, bread, water, etc.

3. People don't really use an acceleration lane to accelerate in SC. It is more of a meandering into the streaming traffic going 65 miles plus.

4. Traffic laws that I never really appreciated in Virginia make lots of sense now...like mandating helmets for motorcyclists and not allowing passengers in the back of a pick up truck bed. SC car insurance is about four to five times more than Virginia and maybe it is in part to the lack of traffic laws in place.

I've learned a lot of other things too....like Ian will try to catch the enormous bugs with his snack bowl (emptied to catch the bugs), that there is no good time to try to go to the park when it is cool during the months of June-September, and that Ian and I will still go to the pool when people here are sporting sweaters outside thinking it is cold.

The things I learn.......

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Great things to learn...now yournext post can be: things I've learned now that I have 2 children!only 7 days...YAY!