Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Me and my cheapness

So I get up this AM to go to a grand opening of a Bi-Lo grocery store to be one of the first 100 in line at 8am for a $50 gift card. Ian and I are up then so I figured why not. We get there about 7:58 knowing we would not be the first in line but we were like the 400th in line no lie. It was a line the size of one when Best Buy puts their laptops on sale for $100 laptops on Black Friday.....my goodness. People in line were even saying it was like the day after thanksgiving.....all for a free $50 gift card. We didn't even get in the doors of the store until 8:30. Once we got inside, Ian of course wanted to be in a huge cart with the turning wheels...yeah I already can't maneuver those on a good day with like 20 people in the store, let alone 500 in the store. The things I do for Ian!

I took pictures with my phone and when I download them I'll post a few. So I was curious as to when people got there so I asked one of the brass there at the store about it and was told 4am--no lie, 4am. Police were out directing traffic on the main road, etc. I fit through the tiniest of spots in the Explorer to park. There weren't any great deals--I only bought 1 5lb bag of sugar for $1. We did get some free food tastes though.

One funny thing that did happen is some lady in front of me asked a nicely dressed woman if she worked at Bi-Lo and it turned out she was the Mayor--soooooooooo hilarious! The mayor of course handled it very well and did the obligatory hand shaking, etc.

The only thing that I was planning and counting on from the experience that didn't happen is for Ian and I to be in line close to getting our lofty gift card andthe cry of "I have to go potty" to escape from Ian's lips. Thank goodness that didn't happen. Needless to say we are not trying for the promos tomorrow or Friday as I have come to my senses and realized it is NOT worth it. Oh the things I do in my frugal ways......hope those reading this are chuckling at and with me.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Oh, you know we all would have been out there too, so i guess better you not get the card with 1 child in tow, instead of the 4 of us not get the card with 9 children--I'll save you some .39 sour cream I picked up at Kroger yesterday. I am going to try and freeze it...we'll see!

Melinda said...

Yep! I would have been there! The meat manager at Kroger thinks I'm stalking him...looking for .79 cent ground beef!